Five taken to hospital after gas leak in Auckland building
Five people have been taken to hospital and 50 more are being assessed after a gas leak at a building in downtown Auckland.
A police spokesperson said they were called to a building in Victoria Street West by Fire and Emergency at 9.35am to assist with cordons.
Emergency services were responding to the effects of what was believed to be an unknown chemical substance, which forced the evacuation of the building.
Five patients have been taken to Auckland Hospital in a stable condition, St John Ambulance spokesman Simon Barnett said.Advertisement Advertise with NZME.
Fifty more people needed to be assessed and a triage area has been set up outside the Augusta House building at 19 Victoria Street West.
A Fire and Emergency spokesperson said it had discovered that a smell of fumes was coming from the air conditioning system. Staff were working with co ntractors to find the source of the problem.
Firefighters were investigating to ensure that "it's not causing any harm to anybody".DO YOU KNOW MORE? EMAIL US
Ambulances and a fire truck are at the scene.
There is a Countdown supermarket near the site.Source: Google News